Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Catholic Joke Told By My Serbian Orthodox Pap

   
   "Catholic Joke Told By My Serbian Orthodox Pap"
   
   When I was merely sixteen years of age, I bolted from home due to bullies, driving an approximate 1,000 miles on the asphalt ballet of it all--from Little Rock to Richmond.  I did this numerous times, but my folks kept stealing me back, though I preferred the solace and harbor of safety my Grandparents did offer.  But I never scrubbed Grandma's floors, and I still feel guilty about it, even 30 years later.
   Anyway, my Pap was born of a Serbian immigrant named Dragan Radulovic.  He was Serbian Orthodox, though Grandma was Catholic.  He said the Pope made you eat fish on Fridays because his brother was a fisherman and it increased business.  But there was more.
   As I observed my Pap suck in on his Tareyton cigarette, armed with a two-part filter of fiber and activated charcoal, he exhaled this joke:
    A lady forgot her purse in the pew after Mass.  The Priest, later in the day, found it and looked through it for identification.  Unearthing it, he called her.  She arrived shortly and picked it up.  After handing it to her, the Priest said:  "You know--the Virgin Mary never smoked cigarettes."  The lady boldly looked the Priest in the eyes, replying:  "And Jesus Christ never drove a Cadillac."