Thursday, August 25, 2016

Flash: The Wiry Whippet (4)

   
   "Flash:  The Wiry Whippet (4)"
   
   I would not be guilty of apostasy concerning my Master, Henry; however, from time to time--I have strayed away from him, in the dashing direction of a running rabbit on the farmhouse's property; still, I would not abandon Henry's need for solid solace, the poor widower.  A lonely old man, hitting the hard stuff nightly to engage a more dulled nocturnal state of slumber.
   Why do humans drink?  To make their hearts happy?  To speak the truth?  To erase the resonating effects of bullies absent from their modern lives yet still haunting their mortified souls?  To be cool and cowboy-like, or think themselves so?  To face their reflection?  
   Henry dropped a beer on the hardwood floors one time--I licked it up and felt better; still, there is nothing like the taste of bacon.  Hey, it's not what goes into your mouth that makes you unclean, but what comes out of your heart.
   So, I found Scooper.  Told him what old Cooter had told me.  Kids wanted to pull a Halloween prank on our Master.  As a Lab-Mix, Scooper was all too goofy about it, saying:  "Golly, are we gonna make new friends with these people?"
   I was like:  "No, this is not play.  You don't play with vandals.  Poor Henry would have to clean up all the toilet paper in the trees; plus, wash the egg stains off his old truck and the house."
   Scooper, continually optimistic about making new friends didn't see my logic, stating:  "But one of them might be nice.  A kid conned into the prank, and we could make a new pal."
   I dropped my Whippet head, royally wondering how Labs were just so darn friendly.  Oh well, I guess that's why they make great service dogs--it takes all kinds, as the humans say.