Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The lowly Saints of everyday

    
   "The lowly Saints of everyday"
   
   He works in the yard, and I doth protest.  It's hot, and you're old--I tell him such things.  But he persists in communicating with God in the garden of suburbia.  We don't always see eye to eye--who does?
   I feel his anxiety and tension, yet his corporeal self is withered, like unto a fading flower, though never in the image of Narcissus.  
   I cook and bake for him.  He likes whiskey and hard spirits, as did Hemingway.  I told him to write like that guy:  machine-gun sentences.  One.  Two.  Three.  Linear thinking, which I'm incapable of, questioning everything, and testing every spirit.
   We are not Starsky and Hutch, for we don't drive a "Striped Tomato" as Hutch had dubbed the monster Ford, that cool yet fiery Gran Torino.   
   It's all high horsepower 6 Cylinder engines nowadays, mostly, but they lack the manipulating rotation of torque produced by the behemoth big blocks of old.  Still, he loves working outside.  I keep an eye on him, even during his rants at the political news and the Bravo Sierra it doth spilleth on the quasi-airwaves of today.